The AMICA Library
AMICA Library Year:
Ashland-Belle Helene Plantation
Creation Start Date:
Creation End Date:
Materials and Techniques:
silver gelatin print
Exterior view. Construction on the house began in 1840, and completed by 1842. It was first named "Ashland" after U.S. statesman Henry Clay's plantation in Kentucky. In March 1889, the estate sold to George B. Reuss, an Ascension Parish planter. Reuss renamed the plantation "Belle Helene" in honor of his recently born daughter, Helene.
Historic buildings; Architecture, Domestic;Plantations--Louisiana--Ashland-Belle Helene Plantation; Greek revival (Architecture)
Geismar (Ascension Parish, La.)
24 x 20 cm.
Louisiana State Museum
New Orleans, LA, USA
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana State Museum.Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws.
Related Image Identifier Link: