The Kalo Shop was founded in 1900 by Clara P. Barck, a graduate of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. The early handicraft efforts of the Shop were in the area of leatherwork and weaving, but after Clara's marriage to George S. Welles, an amateur metalworker, her focus shifted to metalwork. Clara Welles continued for decades to impose high standards of quality and craftsmanship in the products retailed by the Kalo Shop in their downtown Chicago location. This pitcher employs the Kalo Shop's characteristic softly curving, handwrought forms, which strengthened the pieces and also set them apart from the rectilinear forms of European Arts-and-Crafts silver makers such as Charles R. Ashbee's Guild of Handicraft. The simple beauty and quality of Kalo products, from holloware to jewelry to flatware, supports their status as one of the most highly regarded metalworking shops of the Arts and Crafts movement.